Proper storage and handling of hazardous waste containers is an important practice that not only promotes a safe work environment, but also ensures you’re following legislative requirements.
In addition to understanding and following all federal, provincial and municipal hazardous waste legislation, here are 8 tips to help you safely store and handle your waste:
- Prominently display weather-resistant labels that indicate the name of the hazardous waste. Follow all WHIMIS, Safety and Legislative guidelines.
- Use sealable containers that prevent release of contents and prevent other substances from entering the containers.
- Use storage containers that are compatible with the type of waste stored, and are made of durable, weather- and corrosion resistant materials.
- Ensure wastes are stored in an area that is inaccessible to unauthorized persons, clearly identified as a hazardous waste storage area, and designed to prevent secondary containment.
- Implement a secondary containment system for all containers used to store hazardous wastes, and for all equipment used in transporting hazardous wastes that are in a liquid or gas form.
- Limit the amount of hazardous waste on-site by continually monitoring your hazardous waste volume.
- Ensure all employees are adequately trained on the handling and storage of your hazardous waste. This should include emergency response training.
- Keep your hazardous waste contingency plan up-to-date, including current contact information for the facility owners or operators as well as procedures to follow in the event of an emergency.
If you would like to avoid storing hazardous waste at your facility, consider using a hazardous liquid waste treatment and disposal facility. For 40 years, we have operated a hazardous waste recycling and disposal facility in Bolton, Ontario. Our trained and skilled personnel will pick-up and treat or dispose of your liquid waste while conforming to the stringent standards implemented by the Ontario Ministry of Environment.
Our certified waste support teams will create a custom waste service program that will remove your waste materials at your convenience, while ensuring you are compliant with local and provincial regulations. We offer:
- Customized pick-up schedules
- Access to your account history, current information and paperwork
- Treatment of your hazardous waste
- Pre-handling and transportation inspection
- Printed manifests and labels
- Compliance support services
- All-inclusive pricing
You’ll be in good hands at Maratek – As market leaders in waste recycling for the last 20 years, we take pride in providing our customers throughout North America with reliable, innovative, and cost saving recycling solutions. Contact us today and we’ll help you to establish a safe, reliable, and environmentally friendly solution for solvent or wastewater recovery and recycling.